Building an emacs to use the mouse in the linux console

From: joao . moreira
Subject: Building an emacs to use the mouse in the linux console
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 22:16:25 +0200 (CEST)

Hello,

I'm trying build an emacs binary that will let me use the mouse when running in
the Linux console. I'm running Fedora 16 (LXDE spin), I installed gpm, and I
compiled Emacs 24.1 from source, but copy-paste is not working. I can use the
mouse to select text, but when trying to paste I get a message saying "Symbol's
function definition is void: x-get-selection-internal".

When building emacs, it first complained that I was running X but had no X
development libraries. So I configured it with the '--without-x' option, and at
the end of the 'configure' run it said emacs would use '-lgpm'. So I'm puzzled
by the 'x-' function, do I need X libraries to use the mouse ? I certainly hope
not...

The emacs 23.3 that comes with Fedora is able to copy-paste in the console, but
of course, I don't know how they built it. What's the right way to go about
this ? How can I build and configure emacs 24.1 so that the mouse is fully
functional in the Linux console wth gpm ? Am I missing some elisp package ? or
is it mandatory to include teh X libraries ?

Joao