Re: FFI in Emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: FFI in Emacs
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 20:49:41 +0300

> Cc: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <address@hidden>,
>  address@hidden,
>  address@hidden
> From: Samuel Bronson <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 13:08:33 -0400
>

> On Jul 11, 2012, at 12:11 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>
> >> From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <address@hidden>
> >> Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 16:14:56 +0900
> >> Cc: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>, address@hidden
> >>
> >> [SXEmacs FFI interface] should be fairly easily portable to Emacs on
> >> platforms that have libffi.  It probably doesn't work on Windows
> >
> > Why not?  Not because of libffi, I think.  libffi compiles out of the
> > box with MinGW; I did that when I needed to build Guile on Windows,
> > and my notes from that time indicate that the only libffi issue was a
> > rather minor problem with "make install".  And there are precompiled
> > Windows binaries available on the net.
>

> It's wise to assume that code that hasn't been tried on Windows
> recently might need at least some porting, especially when it has
> anything to do with dynamic loading or calling conventions.

I see no need to assume anything when there are facts available.  I
revealed the facts known to me so that people won't need to assume.

> Despite
> all the things the NT hackers picked up from *nix, NT does many things
> rather differently, including what they call DLLs, and the APIs for

AFAIK, libltdl is used for actually loading the modules.  libltdl also
works on Windows, with binaries readily available.

So I really don't know what you are talking about.