Re: Project initialization files?

From: Bruce Korb
Subject: Re: Project initialization files?
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 13:25:26 -0700

Hi Eli,

On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 10:45 AM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>> ~/my-day-job, I use the "work" style, etc.
>>
>> Does such a thing already exist?

> Is the .dir-locals.el feature (described in the "Specifying File
> Variables" node of the Emacs manual) fit the bill?  If not, why not?

Only that it entails adding a file to the source tree.  But then,
adding a superior directory with this file is probably as easy as maintaining
~/.emacs.d/projects anyway, so no real difference.

Thank you!!  :)  Cheers - Bruce

P.S.  ``To avoid slowdown, this search is skipped for remote files.''
Remote files over a 10GigE or better connection may not be so "remote".
Maybe a way to say, "search anyway"?  Anyway, I'm stil glad to know
of this :)

PPS: on one platform, my home directory is a remote mount with
/some/very/long/list/of/superior/directories, so I suppose an empty
.dir-locals.el
file would cut off the search and do nothing?