Movement commands and caps lock

From: Roberto E. Vargas Caballero
Subject: Movement commands and caps lock
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2012 19:24:24 +0200

Hello,

There is a strange behaviour in emacs running in graphical mode. If caps
lock is enabled and I push some movement combination (for example C-a or
C-n), then emacs selects the text, like if the region is active. If I push
C-h k C-b (with caps lock enabled) I get:

C-b (translated from C-S-b) runs the command backward-char

But if I do this same test in text mode I don't get any behaviour related to
the selection and the result of C-h k C-b is:

C-b runs the command backward-char

Without the '(translated from C-S-b)' message that it shows in graphical
mode.

This behaviour does almost impossible any editing with caps lock enabled,
and it is not coherent different behaviours in graphical or text modes.

Tested with Emacs 24.1.50.1 and with --no-init flag.