Re: Git to Bzr - what works?

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Git to Bzr - what works?
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 13:16:51 +0900

Fabian Ezequiel Gallina writes:

 > I generated the patches from git repo with git format-patch, modified
 > paths in patch files with sed to match Emacs file structure, and then
 > used bzr git-apply with no problems, except

This sounds reasonable (it should be unnecessary, but one can script
what Bazaar didn't think necessary to do), but

 > for the fact that I had to create a commit adding a blank
 > lisp/progmodes/python.el after deleting the old one in order for
 > bzr git-apply to apply patches successfully.

IMO, this is hardly a "no problems, except" problem.  This is a
show-stopper, unacceptable even the worker doesn't mind doing it by
hand.  This makes the "blame" command useless for investigating the
provenance of any code that appears in the deleted-readded file.  You
might get by with this in other projects, but Emacs cares greatly
about such issues for legal reasons.

It also makes one wonder about Bazaar, but that's a whole other issue.

Steve