Re: font-lock-maximum-decoration should be 2 by default?

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: font-lock-maximum-decoration should be 2 by default?
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2012 22:23:35 +0900

Vitalie Spinu writes:

 >  The full spectrum of Emacs users is broader than you seem to
 >  think.

I don't disagree with you on the *range* of the distribution of Emacs
users; I disagree with you on the *location* of the main weight of the
distribution.  Examples speak to the question of range, but I already
gave my own regarding the two extremes.  And as I already pointed out, there
are people who
should have better information about location than either of us: the
maintainers.

 > It's not only hardcore programmers, like you are.

I don't consider myself a hardcore programmer.  What makes you think I
am?  I simply have a broad range of interests, and digging into code
is one of them.  Writing code is not something I have much time for on
a regular basis, unfortunately.  My contributions are mostly in the
line of review, documentation, standards-mongering, and release
management.

 > Consistent in customization interface, not in that fontification is
 > set by default. If there is variable font-lock-maximum-decoration
 > that should be it. No X-mode-maximum-font-lock,
 > foo-mode-best-font-lock or boo-mode-try-this-font-lock-level etc.

I agree with that, who wouldn't?  But that's not what you wrote
before, and it doesn't help with the question of setting good
defaults.

Steve