Re: Whitespace cleanup

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Whitespace cleanup
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 17:49:29 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm really tired of resolving spurious conflicts due to cosmetic
> changes, and have much better things to do with my time.
> So, no, I'm firmly opposed to such a change.

I also think that those changes does more bad than good. Nevertheless,
inconsistent tab usage and trailing whitespace are a nuisance and there
is one thing we could do to improve things: require from the committers
to not add to the problem, which does not only means to do the right
thing on new lines, but to fix withespace problems on modified lines as
well. So the problem will slowly go away.

There are ways to highlight withespace on diffs to warn about
modified/added lines. If bzr supports a commit trigger to reject patches
that does not conform to whitespace rules, it would be a good thing to
use it too (at Savannah).