Re: inclusion of emacs-w3m

From: joakim
Subject: Re: inclusion of emacs-w3m
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2012 14:30:44 +0200

Lars Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden> writes:

> Ivan Kanis <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> emacs-w3m is used with Gnus, newsticker and probably other packages.
>> Wouldn't it be useful to include it in emacs?
>
> The main problem with emacs-w3m is that it depends on the external w3m
> program, so it's an additional hassle.
>
> Now that Emacs proper has an HTML parser (via libxml2), an HTML renderer
> (via shr.el), and an HTTP library (via url*.el), writing a totally
> Emacs-based web browser should be pretty easy for somebody who has some
> time to spare.
>
> Which, unfortunately, rules me out, for the time being.  :-)

Can I shamelessly plug my emacs xwidget branch here?
It has webkit integration and stuff. One of my long term ideas is to
make it possible to expose the DOM so that SHR can render the same tree
webkit sees. There are some initial efforts in that direction in the
branch. There are some pros and cons to this of course.

--
Joakim Verona