Re: threads and kill-buffer

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: threads and kill-buffer
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2012 08:52:13 +0300

> Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2012 13:49:29 -0700
> From: PJ Weisberg <address@hidden>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>, address@hidden, address@hidden,
>       address@hidden
>
> A more interesting question is, what does (get-buffer "*Backtrace*")
> return in thread A?

As long as A has *Backtrace* as its current-buffer, get-buffer will
return it.

> I can think of a few commands in Magit that would not behave properly
> if (get-buffer-create some-string) returned a buffer that couldn't be
> displayed after the command finished.

What significance is here to the fact that the command finishes?

Anyway, if the buffer in question is killed, but is needed elsewhere
in Emacs, then that's a bug that needs to be fixed.  We don't need to
come up with a design that works regardless of bugs, do we?

> (Though I'm having a much harder time imagining how one of those
> functions could be called with a current-buffer that's in the
> process of being killed.)

Exactly.