Re: vc-print-log vs. bzr log

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: vc-print-log vs. bzr log
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2012 16:51:33 +0300

> From: Stephen Berman <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2012 15:07:03 +0200
>
> When I'm visiting a file on a local branch of the Emacs bzr trunk and
> type `M-! bzr log -r-1 RET' I see the log entry in less than one second.
> When I type `C-x v l RET RET' ±19 seconds elapse before the log is
> displayed (and the lag time is the same if I limit the display to one
> entry).  Is this time difference expected?

Yes, to some degree, because these two commands do 2 different things.
The first one shows the last commit in the branch.  The second one
shows the commits only to the file you are visiting, which means
digging deeper into the version history.

However, even if the file you are visiting is the one modified by the
last revision, bzr is slower when a file argument is passed.  I guess
this is something to report as a bug to bzr bug tracker.

Btw, did you really mean "C-x v l RET RET", or did you mean something
like "C-u C-x v l RET 1 RET"?  If the former, then by default C-x v l
does not prompt for anything, so I have no opportunity to type RET
twice.