Re: Patch for lookaround assertion in regexp

From: Tomohiro Matsuyama
Subject: Re: Patch for lookaround assertion in regexp
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2012 15:55:41 +0900

Just reminder.

I'd like to see soon the regexp lookaround assertion feature in trunk.
As Stefan said, the feature could be a bottleneck of the regexp engine
replacement.
So, when such the replacement would happen?  I'm feeling I have to wait more 10
years.

I'm also skeptical in technical that Tompson's NFA is really good for Emacs.
In my understand, Tompson's NFA is an algorithm that reduces backtracks with
restricting dynamism, and may require cpu and memory overhead in many cases.
Is that really what we want for regexp engines to improve scalability?

    Tomohiro