RE: Isearch: retrieve last successful search string from when you quit (

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Isearch: retrieve last successful search string from when you quit (`C-g')
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2012 08:22:36 -0700

> > To be honest, I always thought there was some bug in
> > isearch that made it forget my search strings. I'd love it
> > if isearch just unconditionally remembered my searches.
>
> Some users may prefer the current behavior, i.e., that `C-g' just
> exits i-search without storing the current search string in the search
> ring.  So, I think this behavior should be user-configurable.

It is misguided.  But as with all misguided features, users should have a way to
opt out (or in).

Why don't you simply try what I suggested?  It takes only a few seconds to do
(just load isearch+.el).  And you can easily try your approach as well.  Try
both approaches for a few hours, and then compare.

I think you will find that it makes little sense to systematically add all
abandoned searches to the search rings, but it does make sense to be able to
retrieve the last such.