Re: Proposal to improve the nomenclature of scrolling directions

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Proposal to improve the nomenclature of scrolling directions
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2012 16:40:29 +0200

> Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2012 15:09:27 +0100
> From: martin rudalics <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
>
>  > You are talking about a solution that would work around the current
>  > code in creative ways.  I would suggest changing the code instead.
>
> In order to fake the position of the cursor at an arbitrary position
> within a window you have to change the display code.

I didn't realize there's a requirement to display a cursor when point
is scrolled out of view.  Why is that needed?

>  > Changing the code will necessarily involve touching the scroll
>  > functions, because currently they move point to fit in the window.
>
> The `point' (and region) handling part is a different issue.  I'd
> strongly suggest to separate this from the display part.

Sorry, I'm confused: what does region handling have to do with this?

And how can you separate the point handling from this issue, when
window_scroll_pixel_based explicitly moves point?