Zombie subprocesses

From: Harald Hanche-Olsen
Subject: Zombie subprocesses
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2012 22:49:45 +0100 (CET)

I recently discovered that emacs has a bunch of zombie subprocesses.
A bit of experimenting reveals that if I run

(call-process "/bin/sleep" nil 0 nil "5")

then this returns immediately, as expected, but after 5 seconds, the
subprocess becomes a zombie and never goes away.

Is this the intended behaviour, or a bug? Should I file a bug report?

This is on OS X 10.8.2, Emacs built from trunk a couple weeks ago.

(I use this technique to start external viewers for various types of
files. But the program I use the most forks on its own, so I can
easily replace the argument 0 by nil and avoid the problem. But I
thought it worth reporting anyhow.)

- Harald