Re: Emacs Mac port

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: Emacs Mac port
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2012 19:58:59 +0100

Hello.

1 dec 2012 kl. 15:04 skrev Donald Curtis <address@hidden>:

> I don't know specifics, but in the home-brew
> (https://github.com/mxcl/homebrew) build script for emacs, there is an option
> `srgb` which does some color fixes in the NS version,
>
> Specifically, in nsterm,
>
> replace,
> "*col = [NSColor colorWithCalibratedRed: r green: g blue: b alpha: 1.0];",
>
> with,
> "*col = [NSColor colorWithDeviceRed: r green: g blue: b alpha: 1.0];"

This is "The Wrong Thing To Do" (TM) according to all documentation.
FWIW, it makes no difference on the two Macs I tried. Are you running 10.6 or
earlier?

> There is something about the calibrated version that made colors look
> different than in other versions of emacs, specifically X11. Well, I should
> say, they would look different than other programs generating the same color.
> And you can test this in OS X by using "DigitalColor Meter",
>
> 1. Set a background color in hex,
> 2. Use "DigitalColor Meter" to get the color from the window.
>
> And you'll see that the color being generated is *not* the color you
> specified, well, at least it wasn't on Mac, but maybe this is not an issue on
> NS.  However this may be related to some of your struggles with color
> differences.

It is indeed the color I specified if I choose "Generic RGB".  I'm not sure
which is the correct one to use, but you can choose between "Original values",
"sRGB", "Generic RGB" and "Adobe RGB".

> Here is the Homebrew bug report:
> https://github.com/mxcl/homebrew/pull/5194
>
> And here is the corresponding GNU bug report:
> http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=8402
>
> I'm definitely more on the side of doing what the user *expects* (which is to
> use colorWithDeviceRed) over what is technically correct (the current way of
> using colorWithCalibratedRed). But it hasn't been an issue for me since I use
> home-brew and just specify the --srgb compile option.

--srgb sounds like the wrong name for this option, if it just enables the use
of device colors.
Is "the user" all users, ot just a subset of users using a particular OSX
version?

We could have an option for using srgb color space or device color space, but I
think calibrated is the right default.

        Jan D.