Re: Two strange messages while building Emacs on MS-Windows

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Two strange messages while building Emacs on MS-Windows
Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2012 13:12:37 +0100

Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden> writes:

> OTOH, a MS Windows Emacs install appears to work well enough under Wine.
> I managed to lock both Emacs and the KDE desktop (!) with a simple
> operation (had to switch to a text-mode console and kill wine from
> there) but it seems that it should work for byte compiling and,
> hopefully, dumping. This means that, starting from `wine cmd.exe',
> installing the *native* mingw compiler (not the cross-compiler) and
> building with the MS Windows procedure, maybe a full MS Windows build
> can be achieved. Not something that I would advise for an official
> release, though.

The nt/configure.bat script complains with errors like this:

D:\exp\emacs\emacs\nt>if ()==(cl) goto compilercheckdone
Syntax error
File not found.

The script does not end, it seems to enter an infinite loop. Tried
executing cmd.exe with /E:ON or /X but made no difference.

This is what I'm using:

address@hidden:~/dev/exp/emacs$ wine --version
wine-1.4.1
address@hidden:~/dev/exp/emacs$ wine cmd.exe
CMD Version 1.4.1

What's the oldest OS version supported by the build scripts?