Re: Two strange messages while building Emacs on MS-Windows

From: Dani Moncayo
Subject: Re: Two strange messages while building Emacs on MS-Windows
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2012 00:31:10 +0100

>> Still pretty far from his 30min, so while "make -j" would help, the
>> inefficiency of the bootstrap is at least as important in his specific
>> case, I think.
>
> I cannot explain 30 min, since I never get such long times here.  One
> possible reason could be that Dani uses an MSYS Make, which doesn't
> support parallel execution (the MinGW Make does in its latest
> builds).

I'm using "mingw32-make" (C:\MinGW\bin\mingw32-make.exe), not "MSYS
Make" (C:\MinGW\msys\1.0\bin\make.exe).

It seems to me that the current version of mingw32-make (GNU Make
3.82.90) does support parallel execution, because I sometimes see
mixed messages (from different processes) in the terminal when doing a
bootstrap with "-jN".

>  Another potential difference between what I do and what Dani
> does is that Dani uses MSYS Bash, while I use cmd.exe.  But I can
> hardly believe that MSYS Bash slows down things so much.

I've just bootstrapped (trunk revno 111165) using cmd.exe as shell,
and it took 30 min. and 29sec.  I.e., the shell doesn't seem to be
relevant here.

> Yet another possible reason could be that Dani runs a 64-bit Windows 7
> while I did the above measurements on a 32-bit XPSP3.  Recently I
> found out that running 32-bit executables on 64-bit Windows OS incurs
> a tangible penalty.  But my own measurements of byte compilation on
> Windows 7 show only 2-fold slowdown, which still brings us only to
> around 20 min or so, not 30.  A mystery.

Yes, my current OS is Windows 7 64-bit.

Next time I'll try your changes to `lisp/makefile.w32-in', and see if
they are effective here.

Thanks.

--
Dani Moncayo