RE: Unuseful keybindings

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Unuseful keybindings
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2012 16:55:38 -0800

>> So you buy the argument that if there is no default binding for
>> some key (ANY key), and someone uses it conventionally outside Emacs
>> (for ANYthing), then Emacs should hurry to get on board and have the
>> same binding by default.
>
> Did anyone really say that? To hurry, etc.

Well, the proposal is to add this default binding NOW, not later.

I argued for waiting, doing nothing now, so we can more easily do something
better later if we like.

Actually, I argued that only conditionally - conditional on the absence of any
real arguments in favor of making that change NOW.  So far, nothing specific
regarding `f11' or fullscreen toggling.

And actually, I don't care so much about `f11' as I do about getting some good,
Emacs-specific reasons for binding it by default.  Nothing so far.

As for the rest of it, yes: we have seen precisely that argument - ANY unused
key, outside convention for ANYthing that could be used in Emacs.