Re: cl-functions do not honor common-lisp-indent-function

From: Didier Verna
Subject: Re: cl-functions do not honor common-lisp-indent-function
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2012 18:24:50 +0100

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> Helmut Eller writes:
>
>  > Those cl-* symbols have no (predefined) meaning for Common Lisp so
>  > shouldn't be in cl-indent.el; for the same reason there shouldn't be
>  > rules for save-excursion or condition-case.
>
> That is irrelevant.  If the user thinks of these symbols as equivalent
> to "real" Common Lisp standard symbols, then the user has every right
> to ask Emacs to treat them as Common Lisp symbols.  That user should
> not need to know precisely how that is done, or implement it herself.

  cl-indent is meant for providing indentation in *real* Common Lisp
  source files. The cl-* functions will not appear in Common Lisp code
  so cl-indent shouldn't know about them.

  The cl-* functions may however appear in Emacs Lisp code, so indenting
  them properly (that is, in a CL style because these functions provide
  CL functionality to elisp) is a job for (lisp-indent-function). It is
  currently missing.

  Note that I happen to *not* use (lisp-indent-function) at all, but
  always (common-lisp-indent-function), even in Emacs Lisp files. In
  such a situation, I still consider that I'm doing something
  non-standard, and so I wouldn't complain because the cl-* functions
  are not indented properly by cl-indent. I think it's my job, as an
  end-user who's doing something weird, to support them by hacking my
  configuration.

  Of course, if there were also a shortcut such as
  (cl-indent-add-cl-lib-support), that would be nice.

--
ELS 2013, June 3/4, Madrid, Spain:  http://els2013.european-lisp-symposium.org

Scientific site:   http://www.lrde.epita.fr/~didier
Music (Jazz) site: http://www.didierverna.com