Re: Diff emails to debbugs?

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Diff emails to debbugs?
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2012 15:02:35 +0100

Glenn Morris <address@hidden> writes:

> Parsing the commit message sounds like too much work. Just check for a
> --fixes debbugs:123 entry, and if there is one, cc the commit to
> address@hidden with some short explanatory note.

Parsing the commit messages is what I did at work to tie the VC and the
bug tracker together.  There we use magical strings in the commit
messages to control the bug tracker.  So we say "bug 123 fixed" and
stuff.  If there isn't recognised keyword after the bug report number,
the patch only refers to the bug (and the diff gets filed with it), but
it doesn't change the status.

An equivalent thing for Emacs would be to look for strings like
"bug#123 done 24.4".  The extra nice thing about this is that you can
refer to many bug reports at once.  Just say "(bug#123, bug#124 done)"
to have the diff go out to both the 123 and 124 bug reports, and close
the 124 bug report.

This might be over-engineering things, though.  And at the same time
under-engineering, since it relies on "magical strings".  :-)