Re: package.el + DVCS for security and convenience

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: package.el + DVCS for security and convenience
Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2013 01:47:46 +0900

Ted Zlatanov writes:

 > The GnuTLS libraries are not an external binary tool.  Do you mean
 > `gnutls-cli'?

No, I mean the externally maintained *binary* libraries that will be
linked to, rather than called via fork or similar.  Thus the following
question.

 > SJT> The question is whether dynamic linkage is any safer than using the
 > SJT> command line interface.
 >
 > You should ask a security expert.

I've already cited a security expert (the GPG team).  You disclaim
expertise, but are willing to say you think following that advice is a
bad idea.  Hm.