Re: Old/unused display bits

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Old/unused display bits
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 21:44:39 +0200

> Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 17:22:18 +0100
> From: Kim Storm <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> On 2013-01-25 16:47, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Can you say a few words about this code and what behavior it allows?
> > Some of it is conditionally compiled, so not all of it is available in
> > stock Emacs. TIA
>
> I think the doc string for redisplay-preemption-period is the best
> source (look in dispnew.c sources for it).

Thanks.

So I took a closer look at the patch, and it sounds like it is
removing 3 different, although related, features:

 . The redisplay-dont-pause variable and its effect on redisplay
   preemption due to arriving input;

 . The redisplay-preemption-period variable and its effect on
   redisplay preemption;

 . The PERIODIC_PREEMPTION_CHECKING compile-time option.

I don't think we should remove redisplay-dont-pause.  It was only
turned on by default in Emacs 24.1, and it's not yet clear whether the
non-nil is a "fits all" value.

I never used the other 2 options.  I don't think I have a slow line to
see them in action.  It is probably safe to say that
PERIODIC_PREEMPTION_CHECKING was not used by too many people in their
day to day work.

Stefan, your opinion?