Re: Contributing

From: Matthew Wood
Subject: Re: Contributing
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2013 12:36:53 -0600

Thanks, I'll check out the bug list and some of the bigger packages I rely on, too.

More information: I'm a web developer working on Linux and primarily working in Perl, Python, _javascript_, stuff like that. Probably not anything directly applicable, unfortunately.

On Sun, Jan 27, 2013 at 12:12 PM, Jambunathan K <address@hidden> wrote:
Matthew Wood <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm interested contributing, but don't have a project in mind. The
> contributing docs mention starting with a message here.

May be you should tell us more?

How do you use your Emacs and to what ends.  Are you a programmer and
what languages do you program in?  What are your interest areas?  What
platform do you use - Mac, Linux, Windows etc.

The easiest way to contribute is by filing bug reports, responding to
and helping others in the MLs, IRC.

You can also contribute to any of the bigger packages like Gnus, Org
mode, CEDET etc.

If you are serious about contributing, why not submit a(ny) patch of say
20+ lines, asssign the copyright to FSF and have it integrated in to
Emacs proper or GNU ELPA.  See section titled `* Copyright Assignment'
in etc/CONTRIBUTE.

Whether projects end up in your plate or not, lurking around in the
 mailing list of Emacs and sister projects can give you good perspective
 on the goings-on in Emacs world.  You can join in when something rings
 a bell.