Re: Copyright/Distribution questions (Emacs/Orgmode)

From: Jambunathan K
Subject: Re: Copyright/Distribution questions (Emacs/Orgmode)
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 22:29:32 +0530

Subhan Tindall <address@hidden> writes:

> A reasonable person would most likely determine that my intent was add
> this code to project X, therefore my copyright was transferred upon
> it's creation as part of the contract I signed.

My contention is, I transfer assignments unless I state otherwise.  So
future assignment is really an optimization where the paperwork is
minimized both at FSF and at developers side.

The other alternative will be to assign copyright on a per-patch basis.
If this were the case, I for one will have less incentive to contribute
lots of small improvements and FSF staff will be ending up too much
paperwork.

I am arguing from common-sense.

If FSF snatches away my assignments without giving me an option to
exercise an exception to assignment, I swear I would rather not
contribute to or use FSF-endorsed software.

Let's be practical.  Text-editors are dime a dozen.  I have seen and
used better source editors than Emacs.

Btw, People aren't reasonable.  That's why their behaviour have to be
regulated by contracts and punishments agreed upon and enforced from
without so that there can be some control over the outcome of an
engagement.

There is intent and there is an event which effects the intent.  Both
the intent and the act are important.  Future assingment is merely an
intent and comes in to effect when I commit to Emacs repo.

Jambunathan K.