Re: Copyright/Distribution questions (Emacs/Orgmode)

From: Jambunathan K
Subject: Re: Copyright/Distribution questions (Emacs/Orgmode)
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2013 21:39:43 +0530

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: Jambunathan K <address@hidden>
>> Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2013 20:09:30 +0530
>> Cc: address@hidden
>>
>> Thien-Thi Nguyen <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>> > () Andreas Röhler <address@hidden>
>> > () Wed, 03 Apr 2013 11:23:21 +0200
>> >
>> >    Wherefrom the eagerness to remove Jambus's code then?
>> >    Seems more people believe that, even if it's wrong wrt GPL.
>> >
>> > The GPL exists to serve a social movement centered around sharing.
>> > Releasing code under the GPL and then agitating to unshare that
>> > (and/or future) code works against both the spirit of that movement
>> > and the efforts of its supporters.
>>
>> I haven't unshared anything.
>
> Yes, you have.
>
>> I am un-willing to allow the users of Org mode to enjoy the privileges
>> of my changes within the comforts of Emacs.  That's it.
>
> That's "unsharing" in my book.

>From this distance, it is unclear if the book that you are holding is
the one maintained by FSF.

> I hope you realize that it's against the GPL spirit, and possibly also
> the letter (IANAL), to restrict use of Free Software like that.  Once
> you start on this slippery path, your code is not longer free.

I want to go back to the 4 definitions what constitutes a Free Software.

* The freedom to run the program, for any purpose (freedom 0).

Yes, for this.

* The freedom to study how the program works, and change it so it does
  your computing as you wish (freedom 1). Access to the source code is a
  precondition for this.

Yes, for this.

* The freedom to redistribute copies so you can help your neighbor
  (freedom 2).

Yes, for this.

* The freedom to distribute copies of your modified versions to others
  (freedom 3). By doing this you can give the whole community a chance
  to benefit from your changes. Access to the source code is a
  precondition for this.

Yes, for this.

>> So the changes will still continue to be shared and it won't be via
>> Emacs.
>
> A.k.a. "non-free software".

I not preventing Emacs from making use of it.  I will retain the right
to my changes.