Re: minibuffer-completion-contents obsolete

From: Thierry Volpiatto
Subject: Re: minibuffer-completion-contents obsolete
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2013 17:21:52 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> I see that `minibuffer-completion-contents' has been make obsolete, the
>> warning say to use `minibuffer-contents' instead which is a different
>> thing, why ?
>
>> minibuffer-c!ontents
>> minibuffer-completion-contents => "minibuffer-c"
>> minibuffer-contents => "minibuffer-contents"
>
> If you really want "minibuffer-c" you can use (buffer-substring
> (minibuffer-prompt-end) (point)).

Yes, sure, but it is more or less the same than
`minibuffer-completion-contents', and I think this function is (or
maybe) used by third party libraries and making it obsolete add annoying
warnings. (I have now to inline it under a different name).
Well, it is very small, it is not a problem to inline it where needed,
but it was convenient.
So my question was just: why did you made it obsolete ?

Anyway if you decide to make it obsolete, the warning that say to use
`minibuffer-contents' instead is wrong, they do (as described in doc)
two different things.

> What do you use minibuffer-completion-contents for?

I use it in helm and eldoc-eval.

Thanks.

--
Thierry