Re: MS-Windows build using Posix configury

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: MS-Windows build using Posix configury
Date: Thu, 02 May 2013 22:49:01 +0300

> Date: Thu, 2 May 2013 20:40:10 +0200
> From: Dani Moncayo <address@hidden>
> Cc: Emacs development discussions <address@hidden>
>
> I've just noticed a strange thing while using the build made with MSYS:
>
> If I do `C-h i', the info directory lacks many entries which are
> available from the other (old) build.

Yes, because your install-info barfed.

> For example, the Emacs manual is not listed in the directory, but `C-h
> r' still opens it.

"C-h r" goes directly to the manual, it doesn't need the directory
node.

>            (cd ${thisdir}; \
>             /bin/install-info --info-dir=c:/usr/share/info
> c:/usr/share/info/$elt); \
>          done)
> install-info: No such file or directory for /usr/share/info/emacs.info
> install-info: No such file or directory for /usr/share/info/eintr.info

You installed the MSYS Texinfo package, didn't you?  My guess is that
it doesn't support compressed Info files, so it thinks they are not
there.  What does "install-info --version" say in the MSYS Bash
window?

If nothing gives a clue, I suggest to uninstall the MSYS Texinfo
package and install the MinGW port of Texinfo from my site instead.
That's what I used.  If you decide to go this way, make sure you also
have a MinGW gzip.

In any case, just copying info/dir from the source tree should restore
your lost entries.