Re: Bootstrap deleted DOC-nnn file

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Bootstrap deleted DOC-nnn file
Date: Mon, 13 May 2013 08:32:50 +0900

Richard Stallman writes:

 > Deleting the old executables is of so little benefit that if anyone
 > ever finds it substantially inconvenient, that is a reason not to
 > do it.

What I personally find inconvenient is that every bit of lint in the
build tree eventually leads to a confused beta tester.  And yes, I
have had people tell me "I'm sorry, I had an old executable running
for some reason", resolving a bug report.

This has become a much bigger deal now that essentially all of our
testers get their trees from VCS, and therefore typically repeatedly
build in the same tree.