Re: Call for testing: Daily snapshot builds of Emacs for Ubuntu

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Call for testing: Daily snapshot builds of Emacs for Ubuntu
Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 18:06:42 +0900

Robert Park writes:

 > I'll have to do some further research to find out why it was chosen to
 > leave site-start.el blank and see about perhaps dropping this
 > particular distropatch from the official debian packaging.

Debian admins are often role-your-own types who take "site-specific"
seriously, and get pissed off if the distro overwrites their local
changes.  Since site-start.el has historically been reserved for
site-specific initialization, Debian prefers to put its stuff in
distro-specific places.  While it's been about a decade and a half
since I discussed this with a Debian maintainer, I'd bet on no change.

Red Hat (and admins who use it) tends to be more pragmatic, preferring
simple and standardized, and willing to impose (or accept the
imposition) of (relatively) standard hardware, software, and
configurations in the interest of improving support.