Re: MS-Windows build using Posix configury

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: MS-Windows build using Posix configury
Date: Thu, 16 May 2013 16:19:06 +0300

> Date: Thu, 16 May 2013 09:00:51 +0300
> From: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> > Date: Mon, 13 May 2013 19:23:13 +0300
> > From: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>
> > Cc: address@hidden
> >
> > With this out of my way, I need to update the branch to handle the
> > changes in the configury committed lately to the trunk, to handle the
> > ACL portability.  (I was actually hoping that something like this
> > would happen, because I want to see how much effort is needed to make
> > such adaptations.)  Before I adapt to that change, I cannot merge my
> > branch onto the trunk, because the result will most probably fail to
> > compile.  I hope to do that in a couple of days, and then I'll merge
> > and announce.
> >
> > Stay tuned, and thanks for encouragement.
>
> I'm almost done.

And now completely done.  Trunk revision 112606 allows to build Emacs
on Windows using the Posix configure script and Makefile's, under the
MSYS environment.

I'd like to encourage everyone who builds native Windows port of Emacs
to please switch to this method; the old nt/configure.bat and
Windows-specific makefile.w32-in files are from now on deprecated.
Start by reading nt/INSTALL.MSYS.

I would also like to thank everyone who provided comments to the
original patch: Stefan, Glenn, Paul, and to Ken Brown and others who
tried that on their systems.  Special thanks to Dani Moncayo, who
boldly applied my initial imperfect patch, and then patiently reported
every problem he discovered, until they all were resolved.