Re: MS-Windows build using Posix configury

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: MS-Windows build using Posix configury
Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 20:07:50 +0300

> From: Stephen Leake <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 03:31:16 -0500
>
> >  . Windows systems don't usually have /usr/local on _any_ drive, even
> >    if they have many MinGW packages installed, while one of the main
> >    goals of this build was to allow installing Emacs as part of a
> >    larger tree of ported software, not as a stand-alone package
>
> I assume 'make install' will create the directory, so that's not a
> problem.

Yes, "make install" will create it, but that's not the point.  See the
second part of the sentence I wrote and you quoted above.  The point
is that I want to encourage people to install ports of GNU and Unix
software in a single tree, so that they all play together well without
a lot of tinkering with environment variables.  And _since_ there
usually is not /usr/local on Windows systems, I doubt that /usr/local
will be a good guess of where people might put such a tree.  So I
_want_ them to think about the root of that tree, and I want them to
use that in the --prefix option.

> For Emacs users used to customizing things on Linux, the additional
> information is helpful.

Are there such users who don't prefer Cygwin instead?

> > Also:
> >
> >> Cygwin might, if installed at c:/ (as I do). In that case, it would
> >> appear your MSYS/MinGW Emacs build is a Cygwin build, which would be
> >> confusing.
> >
> > Here, you actually answered your own question: there are Emacs users
> > on Windows who do actually have Cygwin installed.
>
> Actually not, since MSYS treats "/usr/local" as Cygwin
> "/cygdrive/c/MSYS/local".

Actually, still yes, although for a slightly different reason ;-)