Re: Posix build on Windows: parallel `make' broken

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Posix build on Windows: parallel `make' broken
Date: Sun, 02 Jun 2013 05:48:05 +0300

> From: Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 02 Jun 2013 01:59:09 +0200
>
> A few days ago I succesfully built Emacs on Windows using the MSYS build
> with `make -j4'. Since, I updated MSYS to the latest package versions
> available through mingw-get and updated Emacs sources too.
>
> Now, `make -j4' hangs.

GNU Make 3.81 that is part of the official MSYS distribution does not
support parallel execution.  That is what you are experiencing.

nt/INSTALL.MSYS says:

  If/when you are confident in your MinGW/MSYS installation, and want
  to speed up the builds, we recommend installing a pre-release
  version of Make from here:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/mingwbuilds/files/external-binary-packages/

  These are snapshot builds of many packages, but you only need
  make.exe from there.  The advantage of this make.exe is that it
  supports parallel builds, so you can use "make -j N" to considerably
  speed up your builds

This describes the version of Make I use, which identifies itself as
3.82.90, and it does support parallel jobs.