Re: using GnuTLS 3.x and certificate checks

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: using GnuTLS 3.x and certificate checks
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2013 14:03:16 -0400

On Wed, 05 Jun 2013 13:44:55 -0400 Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:

TZ> To start the planning, is there a way to tell Emacs "run this function,
TZ> but if we're not interactive or if the user has not answered in 30
TZ> seconds, proceed as if they answered 'n' to everything"?  I think that
TZ> would be better than writing special code just for GnuTLS.  But I'm open
TZ> to suggestions either way.

>> Ping?  I'd like to get started on this but need ideas and suggestions.

SM> I don't understand the question, and/or the need for it.

When interactive, you should be asked if you want to accept a SSL
certificate unless your function pre-approves it.  So the default
interactively is 'maybe-ask.  The other question is, if the user
doesn't answer in 30 seconds, can we take that as a "no" answer?  I
think the answer is "no, just wait for it."

When non-interactive, you can't be asked.  So the default there can be
'maybe-ask (what I describe in my question, and make it fail gracefully)
or 'maybe-reject (unless pre-approved, reject).  It sounds like no one
wants 'maybe-ask non-interactively.

Ted