Re: Some comments on the MSYS-based build

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Some comments on the MSYS-based build
Date: Fri, 07 Jun 2013 16:13:14 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> /nt/INSTALL.MSYS says
>>
>> "A nice GUI installer, called mingw-get,"
>>
>> mingw-get has no GUI yet. It is a planned feature. However,
>> mingw-get-inst (confusing, uh?) is a GUI front-end that invokes
>> mingw-get for MinGW/MSYS installation. It onlyl supports the most
>> essential packages, though. The URL for mingw-get-inst is:
>>
>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/files/Installer/mingw-get-inst/
>
> I removed the "GUI" part.

IMO mingw-get-inst is far more convenient than mingw-get for easily
installing the required MinGW pieces. It takes less than one minute
of human work. I'll try to submit a patch to INSTALL.MSYS explaining
where to get and how to use mingw-get-inst for building Emacs.

>> /nt/INSTALL.MSYS says that mingw-developer-toolkit and msys-automake
>> should be installed. The mingw-get XML file for mingw-developer-toolkit
>> says that it includes mingw-automake and the XML file for msys-automake
>> says:
>>
>>         <paragraph>This msys port of automake has been modified specifically
>> for
>>           the MSYS System Builder (msys-dvlpr) environment; that is, it is
>>           intended to be used only when producing binary packages for the
>> MSYS
>>           subsystem.  If you intend to produce executables for the native
>>           "mingw32" subsystem (that is, applications that should work on
>>           Microsoft Windows installations without the MSYS dll), then you
>> should
>>           install the mingw32-automake-*, and/or the mingw32-automake1.NN-*
>>           packages instead.
>>
>> so it seems that msys-automake is unnecesary.
>
> I removed that.  What about autoconf, does it get installed by other
> packages, or does it need to be installed separately?  If the latter,
> I think the only alternative is the one I provided on sourceforge, is
> that right?

Package mingw-developer-toolkit includes both automake and autoconf.
Actually, mingw-get-inst only provides three main packages: compilers
(the C compiler comes checked by default), MSYS Base System, and MinGW
Developer Toolkit (which implicitly requires MSYS Base System.) The user
only needs to add a mark to MinGW Developer Toolkit and he gets
everything for building Emacs.