non-ascii in committer names?

From: joakim
Subject: non-ascii in committer names?
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 10:47:34 +0200

Can the commiter name contain non-ascii with bzr?

I'm asking because I'm experiencing this issue:
https://github.com/felipec/git/issues/38

As far as I can determine non-ascii committer names doesnt work with
bzrlib, but I might be wrong.

In order to push the patches to bzr on Savannah, I need to resolve this
issue somehow.

The patches in question are here:
https://github.com/jave/xwidget-emacs/pull/1

Any suggestions?

Heres what I can come up with:

- Squash the committer name to ascii: That doesnt feel right, but if
 thats the convention, so be it.

- Fix bzrlib: I'm not sure it's a bug. The trace seems to indicate it's
  intended behaviour.

I would rather not stop updating the savannah repo, and I would rather
not stop using git-remote-bzr, if at all possible.

Thanks,
--
Joakim Verona