Re: some progress

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: Re: some progress
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 16:53:02 +0200

>> "Eli" == Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

   > You need more/better fonts.

Any recommentations?
   >> However the input methods which are offered do no include hebrew
   >> phonetic, by which I mean
   >>

   >> "aleph" is on "a" etc.

   > Try hebrew-biblical-sil, it comes close.

Right, but still not the same

   > And "C-h C-\" will display a keyboard schematics that will tell you
   > which key inserts which character.

   >> That is why I use the input via KDE and that is why I need to turn on
   >> R2L manually.

   > ??? I don't understand: as long as Emacs gets the correct characters,
   > no matter how they were created, everything else, including paragraph
   > direction, should "just work".

Ok, the issue is with say C-c that will give C-hebrew-char with the KDE
hebrew keyboard.

However there is another issue I just found out.

If I start to write hebrew the way you described it via the input
method, then the cursor is at the left part of the buffer and does not
move while the hebrew letters are written.

However when I use the functions I described earlier
(defun my-turn-bidi-on ()
  "Just start with  to R2L."
  (interactive)
  (setq  bidi-paragraph-direction 'right-to-left)
  (message "R2L on!"))

Then the cursor jumps to the right and behaves in a visual way as I
expect it to behave.
As a matter of fact this is the way I would like to write hebrew and not
via the input method.