Re: How to restore the layout?

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: How to restore the layout?
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 12:26:47 +0200

Hello.

28 jun 2013 kl. 12:19 skrev martin rudalics <address@hidden>:

> > It is overkill to to that, just make the frames and
> > maximize/fullscreen them as they where when the desktop was saved.
>
> Juanma already proposed to use just the default value before maximizing
> the frame.
>
> > It
> > is a mistake to try to be a window manager and force frames to exact
> > positions.  For example, a common use case for me is to have multiple
> > monitors at work.  I have some Emacs frames at these monitors.  When I
> > get home, I don't have these monitors, just the laptop screen.  Where
> > does my Emacs frames end up in your scheme when I'm at home?
> > Offscreen at some unaccessable coordinate?  Better let the window
> > manager deal with this, in most cases it will make these frames
> > visible, which is what I want.
>
> This problem exists independently from whether we want to save prior
> positions/sizes since usually we do want to at least restore the sizes
> of non-maximized frames.  And in some cases we probably should restore
> the positions too - think of an attached speedbar frame.

Yes.  So I guess you have to implement a smallish window manager to get this
right, i.e. handle resolution that differs from the one saved, when previous
visible frames vould now be invisible, handle frames that spanned multiple
monitors, but those monitors anre no longer available, and so on.  This is a
hard problem.

        Jan D.