Re: call for more ert tests

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: call for more ert tests
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 11:01:35 -0400

On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 22:44:48 +0200 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden>
wrote:

LMI> And I think that people writing other highly interactive and non-vital
LMI> stuff has started to find this out in general the last few years.  On
LMI> Hacker News there's constantly people popping up who've seen the light
LMI> -- having too many automatic tests means ossifying the software.

In effect writing tests is like buying insurance.  Not everyone wants
it, not everyone needs it.  Flood insurance for a mountaintop house is
probably a bad investment, but in a flood zone it makes sense.

I think it should be up to the developer to decide if the cost of tests
is justified for their package.  For the Emacs core, the maintainers
have to make that decision as part of accepting a contribution.

Ted