Re: About `<prefix>--' (was Re: filenotify.el)

From: Xue Fuqiao
Subject: Re: About `<prefix>--' (was Re: filenotify.el)
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2013 07:50:10 +0800

On Sat, Jun 29, 2013 at 6:54 AM, Stefan Monnier
<address@hidden> wrote:
>> Agreed.  XOR is also an example.  Some generally useful features have
>> been added to core Emacs Lisp recently (e.g., generalized variables),
>
> Notice that these are language features, whereas powerset is in
> a different category of "occasionally useful library function".

Yes, if you subdivide.  I organized them by one category: generally
useful features (which can be used by many other libraries).

> We sadly don't have a good place to put such generic functions.
> Maybe we could create a new "set" library of set functions
> (union, intersection, difference, powerset, membership, negation, ...).

And some other suggestions (I did not think too much):

* A list library (to provide something subr.el and cl-lib missed)
* A string manipulation library
* A math library (maybe Calc is enough?)
* A hash library (implements a common interface to different secure hash
  algorithms.)
* A time access and conversion library
* A logging facility library
* The long lost concurrency and FFI libraries
* An I18N library

[OT]
And some not-so-general suggestions:
* Interface to the DBM database
* Interface to the SQLite database (like this one:
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/sqlite.el)
* A CSV file reading and writing library (maybe csv-mode from GNU ELPA
  is a good choice)
* A JSON encoder and decoder
* Access to the POSIX locale database and functionality.

--
Best regards, Xue Fuqiao.
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/