Re: About `<prefix>--' (was Re: filenotify.el)

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: About `<prefix>--' (was Re: filenotify.el)
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 22:06:28 -0400

> * A list library (to provide something subr.el and cl-lib missed)

We could have a list library (with "list-" prefix).  I'm not sure if
it'll be worth the trouble now that we have cl-lib (before, with cl.el
most of its list functions were out of reach, because cl.el could not
be used at run-time, but this problem doesn't plague cl-lib).

> * A string manipulation library
> * A math library (maybe Calc is enough?)
> * A hash library (implements a common interface to different secure hash
>   algorithms.)
> * A time access and conversion library
> * A logging facility library
> * The long lost concurrency and FFI libraries
> * An I18N library

All sounds fine.  For some of them, we already have a file for them
(e.g. time-date.el).

The main problem is for functions which would most naturally end up in
subr.el: since subr.el is preloaded, we'd rather put there only
functions which are very likely to be used.

        Stefan