Re: Rename `eww' to `web'

From: Xue Fuqiao
Subject: Re: Rename `eww' to `web'
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2013 17:18:40 +0800

On Sun, Jun 30, 2013 at 3:56 PM, Jan Djärv <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello.

Hi Jan,

> 30 jun 2013 kl. 01:30 skrev Xue Fuqiao <address@hidden>:
>
>> On Sun, Jun 30, 2013 at 4:30 AM, Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> Making things easy for users must take priority.
>>
>> Well, we can do many things that can make (most) users easy.  For
>> example:
>>
>> * Turn on cua-mode by default
>
> This user would hate that.
>
>> * Add a "redo" command
>
> Might be nice.
>
>> * Change the terminology of “kill” to “cut”, and “yank” to “paste”
>
> But kill is strictly not the same as cut, and yank is not the same as paste.

Or, as Bob suggested, change "kill" to "clip".  See (info "(eintr)
Cutting & Storing Text").  BTW what's  the difference of kill and cut
(and yank/paste)?

>> * Switch the terminology of “window” and “frame”
>
> Should reduce some confusion.
>
>> * Change the terminology of “car” to “first”, and “cdr” to “rest”
>
> Not sure many users care.  Most users don't program lisp.

I agree.  I just picked some random examples in my mind, and haven't
done any research.

>> But we can't, since many of them will break existing users'
>> configuration.  Although eww doesn't have this problem, I think we
>> should think twice before "making things easy for users".
>
> Also, what is easy for one user is a pain for another.  Not all you
> suggestions are even obviously easier for a user.

So I said "most" (just in my opinion) users.  Maybe we should do some
social researches (polls) or systematic analysis, like this
survey[fn:1].  If we can't, picking something in etc/TODO and implement
it is better than span this thread into hundreds of messages and
debates.  (And in the end, typically nothing is done or changed.)

Footnotes:

[fn:1] http://orgmode.org/worg/org-configs/org-customization-survey.html

--
Best regards, Xue Fuqiao.