Re: How to restore the layout?

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: How to restore the layout?
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2013 20:12:20 +0200

On Sun, Jun 30, 2013 at 5:27 PM, Stephen Leake
<address@hidden> wrote:

> Can you elaborate? what is wrong with prompting the user from
> after-init-hook?

Is unexpected and rude. We have many packages that save & restore
state, and none of them asks the user while Emacs is starting up. That
does not mean that it can't/shouldn't be done, just that it should be
an option for users who like that kind of interaction. I expect my
Emacs to get to a fully usable status by itself, without my
interaction.

> The doc for after-init-hook says it is run "after initializing the Emacs
> session". It does not mention displays, so I assume the default display
> is available for prompting the user.

Yes, I'm not talking about technical issues, but UI ones.