Re: Terminology questions

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Terminology questions
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2013 14:25:06 -0700

On 07/01/2013 11:30 AM, Stephen Berman wrote:
> if people think "persistently" is wrong here,
> and "permanently" doesn't lead to the expectation that only one change
> is possible, then the latter is fine with me.

"persistently" is fine, but "persistently change" confused me.
E.g., "stars persistently change in color and brightness
during their evolution" means that stars are always
changing, but the Emacs doc intended to say that the setting change
persists through Emacs restarts, not that the setting is always
changing.  I changed it to "permanently" because I was too
lazy to reword the sentence, but if "persistent" is
preferable then it'd be fine to reword the doc to say
something like "make the change persistent".

> The other case involves two places where I wrote "cross-categorial",
> which Paul changed to "cross-category"

I used "cross-category" over "cross-categorial" because the
former is in aspell's dictionary and the latter is not --
sorry, I wasn't familiar with either term.  If you intend
the social-science connotation please change it back to
"cross-categorial", otherwise I suggest leaving it alone as
"cross-category" is less likely to furrow readers' brows.

Neither of these is a big deal, of course; please feel
free to revert both of my changes.