Re: How to restore the layout?

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: How to restore the layout?
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2013 18:32:36 +0200

On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 12:38 PM, martin rudalics <address@hidden> wrote:

> A first, untested stab is below: Frames get a desktop-mini parameter
> which is a cons.  The car is t if the frame has a minibuffer and nil if
> not.  For a t-car frame the cdr is its number.  For a nil-car frame cdr
> t means use the default minibuffer frame and a number use the minibuffer
> frame whose desktop-mini cdr has that number.

This is intended to be run before desktop--save-frames, I suppose?

> But I'm not sure how to do handle the problem sketched above so I didn't
> write the restoration part.

Oh, don't worry. My local copy is in a state of flux right now, better
not to invest too much time in the current trunk code.

I'm seeing a frame height problem on Windows 7 with side-aligned
frames (=> the ones you get by typing Windows + Left or Windows +
Right).

With a minimal .emacs, containing:

(desktop-save-mode 1)
(setq desktop-restore-frames t)

then

emacs
W-left
C-x 5 2
W-right
;;; at this point, both frames height's are 65 lines
C-x 5 o
C-x C-c
emacs
;;; now left frame's height is 65 lines, right frame's height is 68;
its top is also a bit higher

Comparing the saved state before & after, there only differences are
the height and top parameters of the second frame, and obviously the
total-height in the window-state. Whatever happens, happens when
creating a new frame with (make-frame-on-display display saved-state).

If you add

(setq default-frame-alist '((tool-bar-lines . 0)))

to .emacs, it doesn't happen anymore. ISTR some old bug report about this

Any idea how to fix that?