Re: Rename `eww' to `web'

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Rename `eww' to `web'
Date: Sat, 06 Jul 2013 02:55:22 +0300

>> `dispatcher' is a too technical term.  A more user-friendly term would be
>> `alternatives' like you can see on GNU/Linux in /etc/alternatives/ that
>> can be customized with such commands:
>>
>>   update-alternatives --config x-www-browser
>>   update-alternatives --config gnome-www-browser
>
> IIUC, you're proposing that the macro be called "alternatives-define".

I don't know whether `alternatives-define' or `define-alternatives',
but something without "dispatch" in its name.

> I don't understand in which context would "www-browser-alternatives"
> or "browse-web-alternatives" be used. For which commands are these
> options? www-browser and/or browse-web?

If the command name is `browse-web' then the user option
`browse-web-alternatives' could define alternatives for this command.

This is like what the command `browse-url' already provides
where you can customize `browse-url-browser-function'.

But it seems that there is a need for two separate commands
`browse-url' and `browse-web' where `browse-url' is used to visit
a link from the buffer in a preferably external browser,
and `browse-web' to start browsing the Web in a native Emacs browser.