Re: imagemagic in image-mode and image-dired-thumbnail-mode?

From: Vitalie Spinu
Subject: Re: imagemagic in image-mode and image-dired-thumbnail-mode?
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 12:51:24 +0200

I am wiling to propose a series of patches to image.el and image-mode.el
in order to implement scaling, transform functionality and auto-fit to
image window. From what I see it will be quite an extensive change. So I
ask before doing anything.

First of all there is no image universal api for transforms. The
functions image-transform-XXX in image-mode are very image-mode specific
and all operate by side effects and rely on (many) global variables and
image-toggle-display-image function (the core of image-mode).

So the proposal is to rewrite all those transform functions into a
consistent image transform api and move them into image.el. Then add
interactive transformation commands to image-mode.el, iimage.el,
image-dired.el, gnus etc that will rely on those.

The api could be pushed further by implementing a generic transform map,
and then make all image modes to use it for images at point.

Of course all the above will work only with imagemagick support.

    Vitalie