Re: mouse-autoselect-window-select

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: mouse-autoselect-window-select
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 17:59:50 +0300

> Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 12:20:21 +0200
> From: martin rudalics <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden
>
>  > That's "text area" overloaded for you.  From the technical POV of the
>  > display engine, text area indeed does not include the display
>  > margins.  But from the user's POV, I think it surely does, because it
>  > displays the same objects as the text area does: text and images, and
>  > that display is created the same way as you'd display an overlay or
>  > display string in the "text area".
>
> The user's POV is that of one who uses `mouse-autoselect-window'.  I
> don't know if you do or ever did - if so, please tell me your settings
> and why you think that the new behavior may cause you troubles.
> Otherwise please read on.

I don't see what my usage patterns and settings have to do with the
issue at hand.

The issue at hand is whether it is reasonable to NOT auto-select a
window when the mouse hovers over the display margin of that window.
I think this will be perceived as a misfeature, e.g. consider a buffer
under linum-mode, or vc-annotate.  The margins could be quite large,
and they definitely are part of the window from users' perspective.

If some user finds that auto-selecting a window when the mouse is over
the display margins is inconvenient for her for some reason, then
perhaps this feature is not for that user, and we should advise her to
turn this feature off.  But forcing personal preferences on others on
these grounds is not right, I think.

If you still don't agree, then I guess we will have to agree to
disagree.