Re: how accept all values for a specific var in safe-local-variable-valu

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: how accept all values for a specific var in safe-local-variable-values?
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 13:06:54 +0200

Thomas Koch <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Thomas,

> I use the variable epa-file-encrypt-to as a file local variable with all
> possible permutations and subsets of my coworkers gpg keys. It's rather
> annoying to have all this different values as acceptable values in epa-file-
> encrypt-to and to be queried each time a new key is added.
>
> Is it possible to somehow tell emacs that it should accept values for
> epa-file-encrypt-to in general, indifferent of the value?

You can setup a predicate that determines if a value is considered
safe.  See:

,----[ (info "(elisp)File Local Variables") ]
|    You can specify safe values for a variable with a
| ‘safe-local-variable’ property.  The property has to be a function of
| one argument; any value is safe if the function returns non-‘nil’ given
| that value.  Many commonly-encountered file variables have
| ‘safe-local-variable’ properties; these include ‘fill-column’,
| ‘fill-prefix’, and ‘indent-tabs-mode’.  For boolean-valued variables
| that are safe, use ‘booleanp’ as the property value.  Lambda expressions
| should be quoted so that ‘describe-variable’ can display the predicate.
`----

So you could say

  (put 'epa-file-encrypt-to 'safe-local-variable
       #'my-isa-subset-of-coworkers-gpg-keys)

or even

  (put 'epa-file-encrypt-to 'safe-local-variable
       #'(lambda (val) t))

to accept any value.

Hm, right now it already has this safe-local-variable predicate (in
epa-hooks.el):

(put 'epa-file-encrypt-to 'safe-local-variable
     (lambda (val)
       (or (stringp val)
           (and (listp val)
                (catch 'safe
                  (mapc (lambda (elt)
                          (unless (stringp elt)
                            (throw 'safe nil)))
                        val)
                  t)))))

That says that values are considered safe if they are a string or a list
of strings.  Do you set it to something different than a string or list
of strings locally?  Or maybe you are using an emacs version that
doesn't have that property for `epa-file-encrypt-to' yet?

BTW, as the docs above suggest, that lambda should be quoted in order
for `describe-variable' to display the predicate.  I just did that on
the emacs trunk.

Bye,
Tassilo