Re: Building Emacs from a new MinGW environment

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Building Emacs from a new MinGW environment
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 22:38:23 +0300

> Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 20:38:23 +0200
> From: Dani Moncayo <address@hidden>
>
> today, I've noticed that the MinGW developers have recently released a
> new graphical installation & setup tool: mingw-get-setup.exe [1].
>
> I've tried it, and I've easily set up a brand new MinGW (+MSYS)
> development environment.

Don't.  The "brand new MinGW" is binary incompatible with the previous
versions (read the small print in the NEWS file).  Which means that
all of the DLLs you download from 3rd-party sites, including those
ported by me, and also most of those distributed by MinGW themselves,
are suddenly prone to subtle breakage.  In fact, even without any
DLLs, the new startup code pulls in functions like readdir, which are
incompatible with what Emacs defines and uses.  Last time I tried to
link Emacs with the new MinGW runtime, wildcard expansion on the
command line stopped working.

(At the time, I tried, but failed miserably, to convince the MinGW
developers that these binary incompatibilities are a bad idea.)

So I advise you to stay with 3.20 for the time being, as I currently
see no way of reconciling these incompatibilities, and don't intend to
invest any effort in that.