Re: Yet another discussion on improving the first time user experience

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Subject: Re: Yet another discussion on improving the first time user experience
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2013 16:04:24 +0200

Andreas Röhler <address@hidden> writes:

> Am 23.09.2013 09:07, schrieb Eli Zaretskii:
>>> Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2013 08:03:30 +0200
>>> From: Andreas Röhler <address@hidden>

>>> Putting users first attention at that kind of matter, it also spreads a
>>> quit unjust and wrong impression WRT Emacs and it's people.
>>>
>>> That tutorial probably was okay twenty years ago.
>>> No it reads as vim's ":q" is envied, proving emacs can make it difficult
>>> too.
>>
>> When did you read it last time? also 20 years ago?
>>

> At the very first screen C-v is presented.
> Nowadays keyboards commonly have an own key for it, no need to bother
> beginners with this.
> While later, certainly, it's preferable.
>
> Next screen tells about C-p, C-n
> That must have been changed very recently ;)

Perhaps.  On the other hand, I use C-v M-v C-p and C-n much much more
often than the arrows and pgup/down keys, just for the 10 cm out (+ 10
cm back) I would have to move my hand to use them.

I only use arrows when I don't have my hands on the keyboards in the
first place, and even, to scroll down SPC is in a lot of mode much more
convenient too.

What I mean is that perhaps concentrating on keys is the wrong thing to
do, vs. concentrating on bindings and the fact that you can configure
them as you want, and that the default bindings (foremost the oldest of
them) are quite _optimized_.

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__
http://www.informatimago.com/